Protective Orders

Protective orders restrict contact from people who are potentially harmful. Below is a list of protection orders available for a person to apply for.

A Restraining Order can be filed at the Deschutes County Justice Building at 1100 NW Bond Street, Bend.  Restraining orders are heard once a day (M-F). The paperwork must be filed before 11:00am and you will see the Judge at 1:15 pm. Please call to verify times at 541-388-5300. The paperwork is available at the information window in the Justice Building. There is no cost to file a Protection Order.


Family Abuse Prevention Act Restraining Order
(FAPA Restraining Orders)

FAPA Restraining Orders provide protection from abuse by a family member, household member, former household member, or person with whom the victim has had a sexual relationship or child, (ORS 107.700 to 107.735). The abuse must have been committed within the last 180 days, (ORS 107.718). The petition must particularly describe the nature of the abuse and the dates that it occurred, (ORS 107.710).

Saving Grace may be available to assist with Restraining Order paperwork (541-389-7021).

Obtaining a Restraining Order


Elder/Disabled Abuse Prevention Act Restraining Order (EDAPA)

EDAPA Restraining Orders are intended to provide abuse protection for people aged 65+ or people who are vulnerable due to a disability, (ORS 124.005 to 124.040). EDAPA Restraining Orders address physical, verbal, financial, and sexual abuse and also neglect. The abuse must have been committed within the last 180 days, (ORS 124.020).


Stalking Protective Order

Stalking Protective Orders are intended to protect a person who is being stalked. Stalking is usually characterized by a pattern of intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly engaging in repeated and unwanted contact that has the effect of alarming or coercing another person (ORS 163.730 to 163.750).

Assistance for stalking orders can be through law enforcement or through the courts.



Sexual Abuse Protection Order (SAPO)

A SAPO is available in certain cases where a person was subjected to unwanted sexual abuse by another person who is not a family or household member or intimate partner as defined by ORS 107.705.

A SAPO is a court order that tells the person who hurt you to leave you, your children, and your family alone (In Protection Orders you are referred to as the Petitioner and they are referred to as  the Respondent). 

It can order the Respondent not to enter a reasonable area around your residence.  You can ask the Judge to add other conditions that you think will help keep you safe.

To qualify there has to be at least one incident of sexual abuse (Sexual abuse meaning sexual contact as defined by ORS 163.305). Also, the sexual contact was with someone who did not consent to the contact or who is incapable of consenting (ORS 163.315).

Sexual contact means any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person or causing such person to touch the sexual or other intimate parts of the actor for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of either party.

If you are a minor (12 to 17) you may ask for an order as long as the Respondent is 18 or older.  If you are under the age of 12, a parent or guardian must file the SAPO for you.